The Tax Return Preparer or TRO are authorized persons to prepare Income Tax Returns for individual and HUF taxpayers. The Tax Return Preparer Scheme . The scheme was launched by the Income Tax Department during the year 2006-07.
It is envisioned under the program that a graduates who successfully complete the training will be issued a Certificate and a Unique Identification Number which will authorize them under the Income-Tax Act, 1961 to:
Prepare and file Returns of individual and HUF taxpayers
Prepare and file quarterly TDS statements
Register as e-Return Intermediaries
Frequently Asked Question on TRP
These are reproduction of answers given by the government on its exclusive website for TRPs
1. I am a Science graduate with Biology, can I apply for the TRPS Batch II training?
Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in any of the following subjects:
· Law (LLB)
· Economics (B.A/B.Sc.)
· Statistics (B.A/B.Sc.)
· Mathematics (B.A/B.Sc.)
· Commerce (B.Com.)
· Business Management/Administration (BBM/BBA)
2. I have completed 21 years after 1st April 2012, am I eligible to apply for the TRPS Batch II training?
You need to be between the age of twenty-one (21) and thirty-five (35) years as on 1st April 2012 are eligible to apply.
3. Will I get a job in the Income Tax department if I undergo the TRPS Batch II training?
Under the TRP scheme, you will be authorized to work as TRP. The training or certification does not make you qualified for any kind of Government employment.
4. I am currently travelling outside my home town, can I enroll for the exam outside my state?
The Enrollment ExamCentre will be assigned depending on the Centre preference that candidates specify while filling the application form. The same will be mentioned on the admit card. The candidates can take the exam only from the centre mentioned on the admit card.
Also note that Income tax department will not be responsible for the cost of travel and boarding and lodging; candidates have to bear the cost of travel and boarding and lodging.
5. I am travelling on the date scheduled for the exam. Can I give the exam from a different centre from my training location?
The Enrollment Exam Centre will be assigned depending on the Centre preference that candidates specify while filling the application form. The same will be mentioned on the admit card. The candidates can take the exam only from the centre mentioned on the admit card.
Requests for change of mailing address, centre preference as specified in the application form shall not be entertained.
6. I paid my fees and then while filling the form, I realized that I am not eligible to become a TRP. Will my fees be refunded?
An application fee once paid will NOT be refunded (under any circumstances), nor will it be reserved for any other examination or selection process.
7. When and how will I know that I have been selected for the enrollment exam?
The names of short-listed candidates will be placed on the TRP website www.trpscheme.com on or before 5thSeptember 2012.
8. I might be travelling when you issue the admit card. How will you send me my admit card?
Short-listed candidates will be required to download the Admit card from TRPS website www.trpscheme.com and will be required to appear for the Enrollment Exam on scheduled date. However, the Enrollment Exam Centre will be assigned depending on the Centre preference that candidates specify while filling the application form. The same will be mentioned on the admit card. The candidates can take the exam only from the centre mentioned on the admit card.
9. I might be travelling on day of examination, can I appear for the exam in a different state from what I give as preference in my form?
Requests for change of mailing address, centre preference as specified in the application form shall not be entertained. However, Income Tax department reserves the right to close or merge any centre depending on the response in that area/centre.
10. I was sick when I gave my university exams so I could not score well in the exams, can I request for special attention on sympathetic grounds?
Applications received will be short-listed centre-wise on the basis of marks obtained in the Bachelor’s examination to a maximum of 10 times the seats available at each centre.
11. What will be the duration of the enrollment exam and what type of questions will be included in the exam?
The enrollment exam will be of 2 hours duration and will consist of 160 objective type questions on General Aptitude in Mathematics, Reasoning, English Comprehension and General Awareness.
12. I am a Commerce graduate; is it necessary for me to undergo self-study?
Yes, all selected candidates need to undergo self-study. The TRPS Batch II training includes 15 days of mandatory self-study and 11 days of classroom based training.
13. Will I be certified as a TRP, if I complete the training or do I need to register with ITD for the certification?
After the TRPS Batch II training, the candidates will go through an assessment examination. On passing the examination, they will be issued a Certificate and a Unique Identification Number, which will authorize them under the Income Tax Act, 1961 to work as self-employed TRPs.
14. Suppose I get stuck with an income tax problem after being certified as TRP, will I get any support from the Income Tax department after the training?
After the training, you will get support, through a web-based Knowledge Portal and Helpdesk, to prepare and file returns.
15. My name on my Identity card (PAN /Driving License etc.) is different from the name in my bank account. Is it OK if I apply with the name given in my bank account?
Your identity proof should have the same details as given in the application form. Discrepancies of any kind found in identity proofs or otherwise will lead to the candidature of any candidate to be rejected at any stage of becoming the TRP or after becoming the TRP.
16. My name on my Identity card (PAN /Driving License etc.) is different from the name in my bank account. Is it OK if I apply with the name given in my bank account?
Speed for Registration of On-Line Application on Internet, is based on various factors like Internet Speed, large number of applicants trying to register the application at the same time etc. Therefore if you are not able to get the pages for registration immediately, please retry after a gap of 15 minutes or during off-peak hours during the night.
17. How do I know that my application is registered?
Successful Registration is indicated by the Page displayed after clicking the Submit Button indicating the generated “Application ID”. Please note down the same carefully and preserve it. If you do not preserve it, you will not be able to download the Call Letter.
18. I did not receive the email intimation for registration of my application?
” Application ID.” are also sent by auto-response Confirmation emails. Delivery of these emails purely depends upon the correctness of E-Mail ID provided, Policy of your E-Mail Service Provider to accept and Divert such emails under Bulk or Spam Mails or bounce back such mails without accepting it due to heavy number of emails generated by our Applications. In case of Govt./official /c ompany Email Ids, delivery is controlled by your Company Policies. Therefore, please do not expect replies from us, if you do not receive such confirmation / auto-response Emails.